TIP TO SAVE YOU SLEEPLESS NIGHTS
Always back up the work you’ve done on your document each day on a flash disk, external hard drive, or on Dropbox/Google Drive, just in case your computer crashes or the unforeseen occurs.
WHY IS EDITING OR PROOFREADING OF DOCUMENTS NECESSARY?
The need for editing and proofreading services does not in any way imply that one is uneducated nor does it mean that one is not familiar with the English language. Notice why the need arises:
- When compiling documents, people often focus on presenting actual ideas and facts, and so their minds do not concentrate on possible linguistic errors or inconsistencies that may occur during the writing process.
- Most people don't have an eagle's eye that allows a good editor to pick up detail and the smallest of mistakes, even if those people are proficient in the English language or speak English well.
- An edited document unlocks value for you, often leading to an increase in your salary, income, and reputation, hence translating into better return on investment (ROI) for you.
- If you have already invested more than R100 000 in your academic degree, for example, the editing or proofreading cost is quite insignificant in comparison; don't risk losing your main investment – make your investment worthwhile by having your document edited by professionals such as Let's Edit.
- Simply choosing any editor to work on your most important documents is not good enough – you need a good editor if quality work is your priority.
- Investing in a good editor is the best investment you'll ever make. Don't worry, you'll thank yourself later.
Best-kept secret: Most successful companies outsource editing and proofreading services because they understand that the presentation of their documents has a strong impact on how people will view their business.
Your documents can create a first impression in your absence – a good impression or a bad impression!
An edited document can put a smile on your reader or examiner’s face.
Editing can help you reach your goals!
REFERENCING TIPS FOR YOU
Referencing with Harvard
When writing assignments you must acknowledge the source of your ideas and quotes in sufficient detail so that those reading can locate the item. Referencing is important to avoid plagiarism, to verify quotations, and to enable readers to follow up what you have written and locate the cited author’s work. The “Harvard style” is a generic author-date style for citing and referencing information used. This style contains author-date references in the text of the document. There will also be a list of references at the end of the document, arranged by authors’ names and year of publication. There is no official manual of the Harvard style; it is just a generic term for the many styles which follow the author-date format. There are many styles which follow the author-date convention, including the American Psychological Association (APA) and the Chicago Manual of Style.
Referencing with APA (American Psychological Association)
The “APA style” is an author-date style for citing and referencing information in assignments and publications. This is the standard style used in Psychology, but it is also widely used in other disciplines, especially in the Social Sciences. It is one of the many variants of the Harvard style.
Referencing with Chicago Manual of Style
The Chicago Manual of Style is the most widely consulted of all styles. It includes provisions for footnote referencing, numbered reference lists, and author-date referencing.
The Chicago Manual’s footnote referencing system is widely used in the arts and humanities. Its author/date referencing provisions are also widely used, and constitute one of the many variants of the Harvard style.
Source: The University of Queensland Library (www.library.uq.edu.au)
LANGUAGE TIPS FOR YOU
Academic language is not like your day-to-day speech.
It is almost like a language on its own, with its own vocabulary and is quite broad.
For example, in academic language we don't say something "isn't", we say it "is not".
Also, we don't speak about "a lot of people", but "many people".
Some COMMON MISTAKES to avoid
I have too suns. Michael and he’s brotha John. They are born in a region near the dessert. Everytime we have to it they say they are not hungry. Their bosses tells me that they never want to weark. Last month, they were not payd.
I have two sons, Michael and his brother John. They were born in a region near the desert. Every time when we have to eat, they say that they are not hungry. Their bosses tell me that they never want to work. Last month, they were not paid.